OpenOffice worm Badbunny hops across operating systems

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Jun 13 17:24:52 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 05:00:03 pm Jared wrote:

> We must labor hard to preserve the attitude
> of gratitude which is the only payment required of those
> who put in the hours coding free software.

Bull.

If it's crap software, we have an obligation to say so.  If it has problems,
we are not obliged to be able to completely recode the program, nor do we
need to fork the project in order to be able to point out wrong-headed
policies.

GOOD software developers are eager to get feedback from people who have the
perspective of not being so buried in the code they can't see basic things
wrong with the UI, or an obvious function that's been overlooked because the
coder always uses vi.

Providing feedback is a legitimate contribution to software development.  No,
we need not grovel at the coder's feet and worship his code droppings because
he has been generous enough to bestow them on us.  It takes a community to
develop good software.