SATA PT2

Jeremy Fowler jeremy.f76 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 14:17:00 CDT 2007

RAID 0 is a striped set, no parity.
RAID 1 is a mirrored set.

So RAID60 would be two RAID 6 arrays striped together.

RAID61 would be two mirrored RAID 6 arrays... I could see maybe why you
would strip two RAID 6 arrays to increase performance, but that would be
incredibly costly and I would say complete overkill.  If you need redundancy
and speed is a high priority, you might as well do RAID10, a stripped set of
mirrored drives. However, if you a have a limited number of drives and
needed the most storage size by reducing the ratio of parity drives and disk
I/O performance isn't too important then RAID 5/6 is your answer.