sound some places not others

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jul 16 09:05:58 CDT 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007 10:41:40 am Lowell <lowell at kc.rr.com> wrote:

>> Why such an old release?

> I'm using the old distro 'cause I had a cd of it; also, I've noticed
> that old hardware and old linux (or Windows, for that matter) seem to
> get along better than a mismatch in that regard.

This can be true, but if you have at least 256M of RAM and 5G of HD, I'd go
with the newer release.  As far as I know, all the hardware that 10.x covered
is covered in the current release, and much more old hardware is covered
better.

> Flash 9 plugin is installed and in Netscape's dir. However, the
> installer didn't seem to put flashplayer.xtp in components (where it
> belongs) and /sbin/locate can't find it either. I suspect that's the
> problem.

Remember that you have to run updatedb before locate will find a new file.
rpm -ql will list files installed and where they are.  One of the problems
with older distros that Mandriva has since fixed is the various locations
that plugins can be, they are now symlinked.