sound some places not others

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Jul 14 11:21:13 CDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 12:40:26 pm Lowell wrote:

>        I've just installed Mandrakelinux 10.2 3.4.3-3mdk on my IBM
> Thinkpad t30,

Why such an old release?  There's been a LOT of progress in Mandriva, and
manual hardware configuration is largely a thing of the past.

> Now Totem Media Player will play some sounds nice and loud but won't
> make a peep while playing a QuickTime movie (.mov) for example. Wonder why?

Different codec.  I have never gotten Totem or Kaffeine to work consistently
with more than one or two file types.  Mplayer and VLC, on the other hand,
usually just work.

> Also in Netscape 7.1 (I wanted the suite with the mail client, this is
> the latest one that has it) Youtube shows the pictures nicely, but no
> sounds...

Adobe flash player is availble as a pluggin for current releases.

Running Mandriva 2007.1 (Spring), I get mostly satisfactory performance from
any media type I encounter.  I use konqueror (the KDE file/web browser) by
default, and occasionally find a javascript-heavy page that doesn't work, or
an animated graphic (weather radar) that bogs it down badly; for those I use
mozilla-firefox.

I use the kmail component of korganizer and am pretty happy with it, I much
prefer it to mozilla-thunderbird, which is the current version of the
mosaic/netscape/mozilla mail client.