Speaking of phones...

David Spake dspake at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:42:42 CDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Jestin Stoffel <jestin.stoffel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 19:25 -0500, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > On Monday 09 July 2007 15:55, Jeremy Fowler wrote:
> > > This looks interesting:
> > >
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/09/neo_1973_launch/
> >
> > Indeed, I've been holding out for the (final) Neo1973 :)
> >
> > Speaking of which... http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Group_Order
>
> I'm waiting for the final version as well.  On a related note, I'm new
> to the area and need to switch cell phone carriers.  Are all the
> competitors here about equal in terms of coverage, or are there any I
> should avoid?

Ars Technica has a short article on the developers release of phone,
including the news that FIC is going to be pushing out 3 other devices
based on the Neo1973 in the next year.  As the article says, perhaps
FIC has seen the sense in an open source solution.  Lets just hope
they can play nice with everyone else and not throw their toys out of
the sandbox if someone miff's them.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070710-developer-models-of-openmoko-open-source-smartphone-released.html

Dave