Linspire/Freespire

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 13:40:26 CDT 2007

On 7/7/07, Earle Beason <Earle-Beason at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Linspire/Freespire

> Wow, I evaluated this and I am not impressed, don't like the fact I have
> to "PAY" for Linux programs that are normally free with other distros,
> and I can't update anything with out becoming a "MEMBER" of the "CNR," I
> would agree with those who are saying to go to another program. Fedora 7
> quite large but google "Perfect Fedora 7 desktop" and voila, everything
> needed for a good start. Then add caldega for your games, you should be
> good to go. If your close to grandview you can come over and evaluate my
> setup on a weekend.
>
> Bet Linspire will emulate Microsoft s other ventures.................

It at first does seem as if your evaluation of Linspire's "pay" CNR is
valid. And rather Damning.
Then I took a moment to evaluate the elements for and against such a
concept.
The initial judgement was a split decision.
Part of my thinking holds that direct demand of payment for "software
itself" is not the best idea. DO note that the exceptions to  that rule are
"works for hire" and "non-public" sector.
Quibbling over those definitions will like as not start a flame way we'd
better consider avoiding ok? The other split in the decision is that fees
for" Pay CNR" and variants are a potential payment to the coders themselves
for a change. IF schemes like  a  "pay" CNR were paying a % to the coders
or  systems integration persons I would feel it a "Good Karma" tax and feel
much better about it.

 Now a "free" marketplace using CNR functional equal tools?

The final verdict will be in the marketplace. As it should be.
Moving on from the Deep Thoughts on Karma Payments dept we look at the
nuts&bolts zone. CNR does offer a "baby step" for gaining ground in
liberating users from MS.

I offer a third path. IF we can make it so- The MS world currently has done
one model element to be emulated. Plug-ins that have become closer to
seamless no skill needed.
AS opposed to CNR et all that still mandate a user initiated search for a
tool or application, we could have Linux distros generate a method of
determining which plug-ins are needful for OhSay - Flash? And then
seamlessly fetching, installing and using them.

While the devil lurks in details, somwhere along the build path of that
vision where Flash etc becomes a background process , lies the seeds of my
aforementioned homegrown function alike for CNR.

That all in layman's english means the present cruppage of TGZ ,DEB, RPM can
be replaced by a GUI operation of  "Visit *trusted* website" Drag&drop - and
it just plain runs.

All it takes is for the coders among us to make it so.