Challenger

Earle Beason Earle-Beason at kc.rr.com
Wed Jul 4 09:10:38 CDT 2007

Eerily  enough.....
 Your correct, it does share memory, and a good portion of it. As for
upgrading it, I got it this thing in the scarp pile, did enough cleaning
and basic troubleshooting to get it operating. I only have plans to use
it to teach myself the basic of various Linux systems. My goal is to
create an Office document, watch a DVD, play an MP3, get wireless
accesss to the Internet on each distro and the scratch it and go to the
next distro. It more of a learning toy then a functional computer for
whatever it is I do. I have Fedora 7 on my tower that I becoming more
and more inclined to use as I escape the clutches from Microsoft. My old
tower is starting to look more like Linux bait ever day, I have some
programs I haven't figured out how to run on the Linux box. I probably
wait until Microsoft hamstrings the XP program in order to force me to
go to Vista. The Dell Laptop I have will keep the Microsoft program on
until my warranty expires then, It going Linux the next day

Good book to read, should be the lug mantra

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg246380.html

I suspect that the Thinkpad laptop is using shared video memory with
system RAM. You might be able to reduce the amount of shared video RAM
in the BIOS to allow the install to complete. Additionally, adding
system RAM would be a good idea to enhance system performance especially
for Fedora Core 6 or Fedora Core 7.

A smaller footprint distro might also be a workable solution as
described below in the prevoius post.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. McCright, A+