Stress Testing Hard Drives

Jeffrey McCright jmccright at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 1 23:50:36 CDT 2007

OK, I am going to take a leap here, but I believe Billy is looking for a
simple utility to be run from an existing computer system that can be
employed to test used and possibly new drives to verify that the drive does
not have bad spots in the media and can still be used reliably with a
certain amount of confidence and NOT to run a hard drive to death to verify
that drives Mean Time Between Failures value.

I am also assuming that Billy isn't directly interested in what
environmental conditions will reduce or extend a disk drives life span
including (while cute) dropping a drive off a tall building.

Based on the original e-mail, I further assume that Billy is looking for a
direct answer such as the name of an utility or a link to an utility that
performs a stress test on hard drives and not a dissertation on hard drive
technology, hard drive manufacturing Quality Assurance processes, best
practice hard drive environmental conditions, nor the self perceived
importance of KCLUG member's peripherals knowledge base. In short, I believe
Billy is asking for quick, honest, and accurate help in locating diagnostic
software for his particular situation.

Ladies and Gentlemen, TAKE A HINT! This is why newbies don't look long to
the KCLUG for support, and quite possibly one of the reasons why people
don't give Linux a second look. I have several friends whom I have directed
to the KCLUG and after posting one or two questions to the list, have given
up on the list. I no longer point non-technical people to the list as they
get frustrated and offended. There it is.

Let the Flames begin!

Jeffrey A. McCright, A+
816-210-3107
jmccright at hotmail.com