Custom LiveCD Internet Kiosk - was Re: Ethereal

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Jan 29 14:45:36 CST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 13:05 -0600, Jon Pruente wrote:
> I just found the MorphixLiveKiosk
> http://www.morphix.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=59
>
> There is also a seemingly easy to use remaster setup for Puppy Linux.
> I haven't tried either of these, but they look promising for a good
> starting point.  I've run Puppy, and it's pretty dang fast.  I've
> never mastered my own LiveCD before, but the pages on puppyos.com make
> it look fairly easy.

I have been working on the Debian Live project for a year and can say
with reasonable certainty (and pride) that is the easiest way to make a
live CD. It has support for making live CD's, network boot images, and
USB/hard drive boot images.

You can, for instance, generate an ISO with whatever desktop environment
that you prefer by merely invoking the make-live utility with the
appropriate package list. And lets say that you, for instance, would
additionally like Wireshark on the CD: you merely list that as an
additional package that you would like included in the ISO. For example:

$ sudo make-live -a amd64 -d etch -p gnome-core --packages wireshark

The above command will generate an ISO built from the latest Debian Etch
release packages with only the most important gnome packages and
additionally Wireshark included.

Personally, my interest in Debian Live has been in the network boot
functionality and have, in fact, used it for Internet kiosks as you have
suggested. Only, no CD-ROM drives needed.