from the libertarian newspaper - the topic that won't die! (Actually GPL)

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Thu Jan 25 08:56:24 CST 2007

Luke -Jr wrote:
> The GPL is not compatible with everything open source. Either way, the only
> code compiled by the user is a small source code binding between Linux and a
> blackbox object file. Using internal data structures and functions from
> Linux, this binding is a derivative work of it, thus is required to be
> licensed under the GPL. Using internal data structures and functions from the
> incompatibly licensed .o blob, the GPL forbids its distribution.

This "derivative work" you are referring to is never distributed. Source
code that can generate a work (that you seem to think is a derivative)
is what is being distributed. Again, the GPL's scope is limited to
copying, modification, and distribution (GPL v2, section 0).

Half of your argument *may* apply under the terms of GPLv3 (I haven't
read a recent draft), but it certainly does not apply under GPLv2.

~Bradley