from the libertarian newspaper

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed Jan 24 15:31:07 CST 2007

Luke -Jr wrote:
> No, the GPL also requires anything linking to be GPL-compatible.

Really? Where? http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

I only see the sequence of letters "link" once, and that is not even in
the terms and conditions portion of the license. I've read the GPL
multiple times, and don't recall ever seeing that specified, or even
implied.

Let's make a new rule:
Do not say "the GPL {says|requires|states|etc.} {something}" unless you
also cite which section number and version of the GPL you are referring to.

> Each part needs to be *linkable* independently of any non-GPL-compatible code.

Even if this were true, this is still trivial. Two pieces of program
code can interface with each other without having linked object code. If
you need a rather obvious example, consider any client-server based
application. In the case of certain programs (i.e., video drivers), this
restriction does not remove the possibility of proprietary drivers, it
simply makes life more difficult for everyone involved with developing
or using those drivers.

~Bradley