from the libertarian newspaper

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 21:10:39 CST 2007

Ok- let's look at this from a different angle.

It's all about the integrity of OUR data.

GPL and traditional IP rules are of need very different conceptually.
Then we have to consider what is in the "public interest"
Some of the obfuscation in closed source code is ostensibly there
for forensic use by law enforcement. Some of the "Embedded Identification"
in both hardware and software is either overtly for legal fictions or can be
so used in possible violation of our rights to speak freely.
DO note than my  mention of "hardware" rests on the fact of embedded
software being effectively closed to user examination!
So the recurring in this thread comments about "API calls and free Vs
nonfree code usages often can be hidden in embedded software.
BEST examples I can use are the Linux variant wireless gear and
networking devices running firmware NOT accessible to us.
And YES i am repeating myself from above to hammer on the point.

Because if we can't see the code how will ever really know?

In a FOSS world the USER has potential to  control their "data"
In a "closed source" world? That trailing ? is the largest blank ever.
In a realm where obfuscation reigns what is truth or lies absent proof?
Arguably then there's a gap in how closed source software handles
userdata as opposed to common sense-
let alone how open source works.
For in the FOSS world there still exists a chance for users to either
themselves or thru designated by the user experts to validate what I
define as "userdata integrity" or  "where's your data and who owns it?"
The concept includes such details as -where the"userdata" goes and
 how /where  it is stored including who can and cannot access it.
I submit that absent code being freely and verified by publication
audited for security issues all code not so vetted is inherently suspect!
Where then does that place any windows software?

FOSS then becomes our last best hope to retain OUR data integrity.
Before I am accused of bias, I also fear certain trends in Linux
implementations having potential to compromise data integrity.
SO- to direct our focus to matters free of partisan rhetoric politics.
I am beginning a thread on data integrity.

"It's 2100- do you really know where your data is and who can or cannot see it?"