Critical info (was Upgrading...)

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 13:08:47 CST 2007

On 1/9/07, Brian Kelsay <ripcrd at gmail.com> wrote:

> .  I wouldn't work exclusively off of a pendrive like Oren, I'm not that
> paranoid, nor do I use that many different systems.   But you should back up
> regularly to CD, DVD, USB or you name it.  I'm preaching to the choir here.
> Every time I start using a USB drive or pendrive or CDRW to put my stuff on
> it, I end up needing to move a single file or set of files that is too big
> to put w/ everything else, so one more CDRW goes in the bag.  Next I had to
> set up an FTP site so me and a few buds could trade files and I could upload
> to there.   Then there are scheduled backups you can do with various free or
> purchased products.
>
> This has turned into a ramble or a rant I guess, but I think I mean to say
> that most stuff is already organized on both modern Winders and Linux and
> there are different sized solutions for each need.  Yeah.  Find something
> that works for you.

A few interesting points seem to come up in different forms of the same
goal/s.

The fixed desk persons and the road warriors do indeed need different
tactics.
And in one place it may be considered tinfoil hat mad to run from
pendrives,and another one it's wasted effort since they have keyloggers
polled for each user session deciding if the session log itself needs
investigating. In that case "who is the paranoid?"  gets interesting. Oh-
THIS is an example of my comment's reality.

http://www.keyghost.com/USB-Keylogger.htm

All the extremes aside some things do not change.
The underlying goal set stays the same.To never lose information and never
lose custody of sensitive information. As in innocently assuming you never
will lose that CD wallet or pendrive. The safest course is to minimise
locations where you keep "non public" data. And think hard on the risk
levels . Money loss or time cost.
Which data is considered which gets worthy of a new thread.

And about the "too much stuff for putting w/ "

It's likely to only get worse for some of us. The filesize explosion follows
absurd curves. Want to lose money betting  that users with 3 brandnew 1TB
drives just put into their system will NOT ask us "how do I back up all
that?"

"Is it paranoia if there REALLY are hostile people in your daily world
intent on catching you at something-or fabricating it- so they can justify
their salary?"