Subversion (svn)

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 11:00:40 CST 2007

On 1/8/07, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > I suppose running an rsync snapshot of a system just before an update would
> > give you a quick-and-easy rollback option.
>
> I don't think rsync handles permissions/ownership either.

in general, ownerships are more hassle than their worth when
putting something up for public rsync, or even local rsync unless
you've actually got synchonized UIDs over your whole network
(which is not that high of a bar, but no place I've ever worked has
actually implemented it, what with the unices being somewhat of
a redheaded stepchild in a Redmond-dominated world)

(note to tactical syntax committee: work "Redmonded stepchild" into
common parlance)

<voice tone="obiwan">Read the man page, Luke</voice>

rsync(1) claims:
 Some of the additional features of rsync are:
       *      support  for copying links, devices, owners, groups, and
permissions