Subversion (svn)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jan 8 09:29:58 CST 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 23:14, David Nicol wrote:

> With the current vast expanse
> of hard drive space, it can make sense to keep not just /etc/ but your
> whole damn system in a subversion respository.  svn as backup software!

True - if you're running on a nice new box.

Subversion (svn) for local version control isn't exactly kid's play to set up,
not the sort of thing a new user would want to venture into.  Maybe a brief
guide on what you have in mind would be a good howto for the LUG site.

One of the nice things about DEC VMS was that it's filesystem included
configurable levels of version, with the ability for users to configure it
for their own folders iirc.  Do you suppose the reason that Linux has never
seriously worked with a versioning filesystem is that Microsoft has never
considered it important?

I suppose running an rsync snapshot of a system just before an update would
give you a quick-and-easy rollback option.