Gentoo

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Sat Jan 6 22:22:32 CST 2007

> Just clear up the impression of the personal dig, I don't
> hate Gentoo.  It's interesting and amusing, and true to it's
> "ricer" image it's great fun to tinker with and tweak, to
> solve those little puzzles it's always throwing at you.
> Sometimes I'm in the mood for that, and I enjoy it.

Well, most Non-Linux users think all who use Linux are a kind of "ricer"
or uber geek. I don't think there exists a Linux user out there that
doesn't like to tinker or solve puzzles.

> At other times, though, I require my computer to be a tool I
> use for work, and I don't want to be interrupted and to have
> to spend two days tracking down why sound failed _this_ time,
> just so I can have tunes while I work.  (Or worse yet, why X
> won't run when I need something that's in an X-based app.)

Ok, still don't see why that's a Gentoo problem. I guess I'm lucky, but
I've never had these issues.

> I think gentoo's advantages are mostly imagined and/or
> exaggerated.  I notice this is frequently from people who
> like to spread FUD about RedHat, or binary distros in
> general.  While I don't like where the RedHat distros are
> right now, I think they're a very valid, useful, valuable way
> to do things if you just need a system that does it's job.

I have nothing against RPM distros. I just choose to use Gentoo. I
however, am not spreading FUD about them, unlike some vocal Gentoo
haters out there. I think maybe your frustrations come from your lack of
understanding Gentoo and your unwillingness or lack of patience to
learn.

> I mainly mean to advocate the good qualities of binary
> distributions in general, and RPM based systems in
> particular.  I mean to correct some of the exaggerated claims
> so that people who haven't tried gentoo or an RPM distro
> aren't misled.

Advocating quality of one distro by spreading fud about another does not
help anyone. I for one hope that your comments haven't scared anyone
away from trying Gentoo. I only ask that people try it for themselves
and form their own opinions. Don't listen to overly negative and biased
vocal critics. Gentoo has wonderful install guides and wikis out there.
Always take the time to read them thru its entirely before starting.