Metis

Jared jared at hatwhite.com
Sun Feb 25 08:40:08 CST 2007

>> It looks like you'll have more success running Java apps
>> when Java is working properly.
>
> Which some would consider a contradiction in terms.

SIMSCA! Hopefully, this will become more obvious once he gets
it working.

<rant>
The whole virtual machine concept implies that you are not
to be trusted as a developer. You are expected to trust
the language vendor more than your own programming skills.

While comfortable and cozy, this method incrementally takes
away a great liberty, and emasculates the deep inner desire
to singlehandedly take over the world which is beating in
the heart of any true geek. Java has cross-platform merits,
but clearly, it was designed by the marketing department,
not by the geek squad. The fact that it is so popular is
indicative of the current sad status of programming in
general, which fell quickly from its more pure origins,
where all programmers intuitively understood such principles.

If you can't crash a server, and crash it big with buggy
inline assembler, how are you ever going to learn grace under
pressure, which is a necessary component of any responsible
world domination plan? ;)
</rant>

-Jared

p.s. SIMSCA. Sitting In My Seat Chuckling Aloud. Kind of
like ROTFL, but a little more gentlemanly.