reading Amiga file system with Linux

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Feb 16 13:53:25 CST 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 13:47, gary hildebrand wrote:
> Back when I got started, this was part of the Kernal build, if you compiled
> it yourself.  Most (probably all) of the distros don't have it built-in,
> and I wonder if the latest kernal even supports it any more?

config AFFS_FS
        tristate "Amiga FFS file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)"
        depends on BLOCK && EXPERIMENTAL
        help
          The Fast File System (FFS) is the common file system used on hard
          disks by Amiga(tm) systems since AmigaOS Version 1.3 (34.20).  Say Y
          if you want to be able to read and write files from and to an Amiga
          FFS partition on your hard drive.  Amiga floppies however cannot be
          read with this driver due to an incompatibility of the floppy
          controller used in an Amiga and the standard floppy controller in
          PCs and workstations. Read <file:Documentation/filesystems/affs.txt>
          and <file:fs/affs/Changes>.

          With this driver you can also mount disk files used by Bernd
          Schmidt's Un*X Amiga Emulator
          (<http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~uae/>).
          If you want to do this, you will also need to say Y or M to "Loop
          device support", above.

          To compile this file system support as a module, choose M here: the
          module will be called affs.  If unsure, say N.