proxim usb wifi and ubuntu

David Ambs dave at ambs.net
Fri Feb 16 13:13:42 CST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Luke -Jr wrote:
> Warning: 'madwifi' is not GPL-compatible; as such, it is illegal and will
> taint your kernel.
>
> Also, it works like crap. I need to restart my Atheros interface like 10 times
> before it connects properly.

I don't know about the legalities of madwifi, but I do agree that Atheros
chipsets are crap, I would not buy another one.. even though it was
only $20. =]

It was easy to get setup and running, but overall was very unreliable. At
times I would have to reboot the box just to get the POS working again. It
was running in a Xen dom0 though, so I didn't really figure out if that
was causing any of the issues or not. I ended up deciding to snake a cable
through the basement to the box, and throw the card in the trash. Works
much better.