Fwd: PL/I for GCC version 0.0.14 release

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 12:46:04 CST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: henrik.sorensen at balcab.ch <henrik.sorensen at balcab.ch>
Date: Feb 2, 2007 6:01 AM
Subject: PL/I for GCC version 0.0.14 release
To: gcc at gcc.gnu.org

February 2007

This is the fourteenth code drop of the GCC front-end for
the PL/I programming language.

PL/I for GCC is released under the terms of the
GNU Public License; version 2.

With pl1gcc-0.0.14 another important milestone has been reached. v0.0.14 is
the first release where it is possible to create a partly referencelist for
the variables in a program, and an overview of %INCLUDE files.
Beside structure level information the referencelist contains the following
declare attributes:
   REAL/COMPLEX
   FIXED/FLOAT
   BINARY/DECIMAL
   AUTOMATIC/BASED/CONTROLLED/DEFINED/STATIC/PARAMETER
   INTERNAL/EXTERNAL
   AREA/BIT/CHARACTER/GRAPHIC/PICTURE/WIDECHAR/DATE
   PROCEDURE/ENTRY

There is still no code generation taking place, so don't
run out and uninstall your production PL/I compiler just yet :-)

Changes in v0.0.14
* added location information to most messages
* get rid of warning messages when building pl1gcc
* synchronize with gcc version 4.3

Changed syntax in v0.0.14
* allow the tilde(~) character as not operator
* allow BUFF as abbreviation for BUFFERS
* allow ENVIRONMENT( ... ) as part of OPEN statement
* allow %INCLUDE to have filename inside quotes

Sourcecode contributions to pl1gcc
* From Andy&Pam Norrie: a project used for score keeping of match-races
  for halfton yachts.

For a complete list of changes check the CHANGELOG file.

What is pl1gcc?
The pl1gcc project is an attempt to create a native PL/I compiler
using the GNU Compiler Collection.

The project is looking for more people to join the development and testing.
There are a number of interesting tasks related to the pl1gcc project, where
any help would be greatly appreciated.

a) Error regression infrastructure
b) Error message codes
c) Case insensitive include name expansion
d) Test cases
e) Project web pages
f) Language reference manual
g) User guide
h) Tutorial to PL/I
i) Frequently asked questions
j) Internals of pl1gcc

For more information, comments, feedback and download, please visit
http://pl1gcc.sourceforge.net

Finally, remember to have some fun.

The GCC PL/I Team.

Web links mentioned:
    http://pl1gcc.sourceforge.net

--
Q: How do I decode unix seconds-since-the-epoch timestamps?
A: xterm -T TIMESTAMP_TRANSLATOR -e perl -ple'$_= ~~localtime$_' &