Lame Linux

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Feb 1 00:21:45 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 12:45 -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I was browsing MicroCenter yesterday, and looked at their Linux selection.
> Seems to me like they used to carry the majors, Red Hat, SuSE - I know I
> remember seeing SuSE there (pre-Novell).  The only recognized brand I saw
> yesterday was Linspire, a few generic repackaged CD's, and a couple fairly
> obscure brands I don't remember.  None of the majors were represented.
>
> I wonder why this is.  Is it just too easy to get them off the internet?  Has
> the market for purchased editions collapsed?  Did they get stuck with too
> many copies of older versions as distros evolved too rapidly over the last
> few years?
>
> I checked the book section.  Plenty of Red Hat books, only one on Ubuntu.

RedHat spun off their end user distro; Fedora, being a test-ground for
RHEL, has no connection to software distribution channels.

SuSE/Novell, on the desktop, is now only interested in selling SLED
through their Novell corporate sales system. OpenSuse, their end user
version, doesn't have access to software distribution channels.

Mandrake, now Mandriva, has too little money to experiment with retail
distribution-style marketing.

Ubuntu has never had a "boxed" version that would sit on a shelf in a
retail store.

Debian doesn't give a damn.