didn't someone tell me that telco equipment had 40vdc racks once?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 08:36:43 CST 2007

DC is also great at:
Corosion
Explosions
Arc welding
Electrocution

I wonder if the cost savings take into account the price of all that
thick copper needed to transmit DC throughout the datacenter.  I've
seen firsthand, 2 inch copper cables.  There's a datacenter downtown
that already has dc infrastructure in place, and a big battery, power
stepping/switching, and UPS room.  It might be more energy efficient,
but I wouldn't bother with it, unless you could deliver +-12, =-5, and
+3.3 to the rack.  DC-to-DC conversion is notoriously inefficient.  If
you totally ruled that out, you might actually *see* some of the power
savings.  The other problem I'd see is with DC, the voltage
(noticeably) decreases over distance.  If that's noticeable in a
datacenter, you'd have to have same-length runs to each rack.  Might
be especially nice if you didn't have to cool the large AC-to-DC
substation as much as the datacenter, or if you could just put it on
the roof.  It will also probably be less safe, by the nature of DC not
pulsing to release two shorted connections.  DC circuit breakers are
more expensive, and most folks are less experienced with DC.