I need a router with Dial-On-Demand, can Ubuntu Server do it?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 15:21:23 CST 2007

I'm getting conflicting answers off Google so I
thought I'd see if anyone here has done anything like
this with Ubuntu Server.

Basically I'd like to add a kind of "load balancing"
router to the home network.  The ice storm over the
last two days knocked out the cable internet, but left
the telephone lines intact.  This has been true of my
home in every major ice storm in the past ten years.
It would be nice to have a router which had the option
of sharing a dial-up connection when the cable
internet went out.  I have a Linux-friendly prepaid
Internet service provider for when I travel ("Budget
Dialup" in case anyone is looking for Linux-friendly
prepaid Internet), so there's a dialup option
available for home use.

What I'd like to do is stick a Linux router between
the cable modem and the existing wireless router.  The
new Linux router would take Internet access from the
cable modem, have a regular dialup modem setup for
emergency Dial-On-Demand, and then share out the
Internet (from whatever source) to the home network.
The modem wouldn't have a phone line plugged into it
unless there was an actual cable outage, so there
would be no risk of accidentally using up the prepaid
minutes.

I want to have web and DNS caching to minimize
bandwidth usage during dialup periods, though they
wouldn't be a bad idea even with the cable Internet.
I haven't done anything like this in awhile, so if you
know what I should be looking for, it would be much
appreciated.

I would like to use Ubuntu but I have read in various
forums that the Dial-On-Demand function I need may not
be possible using Ubuntu's versions of pppd and other
software.  If you know of a better solution then I'm
interested.  I have looked at Smoothwall but it
doesn't seem to have the D-O-D function.