RJ45s

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Aug 24 17:07:46 CDT 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007 01:31:35 pm Luke -Jr wrote:
> Anyone know what RJ45 brands work with ThinkPads?

> P.S. Yes, I know RJ45 is a standard and such; go figure why so far only
> store-bought patch cables seem to fit the ThinkPad's jack.

You are probably thinking of the 8P8C connector used for TIA/EIA-568-B network
connections.  I'm not familiar with any common variations, although I believe
there may be some non-standard plugs that -are- Rj45 compliant but not
compatible.

Having worked with a couple hundred IBM ThinkPads, I can assure you that the
standard "Cat5" cables and plugs work correctly with the network jacks on the
IBM equipment.  If you have one that a commercial Cat5 cable won't work with,
the jack is likely damaged.  If you have crimp-on that won't fit the plug,
they may not be TIA/EIA-568-B compatible, or may be flawed/damaged.