Video Conversion in Linux for DVD Creation

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Mon Aug 20 13:14:40 CDT 2007

720i doesn't even exist (look it up). 720p refers to a widescreen
resolution of 1280x720. NTSC runs much closer to 480i (which is a
digital standard which is closely related to NTSC), which does have 720
*columns*. You get roughly 640x480 out of a normal NTSC TV, though the
safely viewable area on most tube TVs is slightly smaller.

The reason why the standards are referenced by rows is because you
interlace on rows, not columns. The viewable column count is determined
by the aspect ratio applied to the rows.

~Bradley