Video Conversion in Linux for DVD Creation

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 05:34:04 CDT 2007

--- Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Use tovid.  It converts AVI files directly
> to DVD's.  It takes care of all the arcane
> obscure options needed to do this.

Thanks Hal, tovid does look like a very good solution
for the video conversion, and even goes one step
further by doing better menus than DVDStyler (if the
screenshots can be believed).

Back in the past I used Nero in Windows, and ever
since it tried to reencode all my custom MPEG2 files
during DVD creation I've been loath to let the DVD
menumaker application convert the videos too.  Of
course, tovid isn't Nero, and may well be exactly what
I'm looking for.

Tricky to use in Ubuntu, though, since the ubuntu
repositories apparently have broken tovid packages.
Not impossible though, as the following link
demonstrates how to use the existing Debian tovid
package with Ubuntu.

http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Installing_tovid/Ubuntu