Where to put user written program

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:31:30 CDT 2007

> > I just don't see the problem really with having a
> > script inside
> > /root/bin, which is completely locked down to only
> > the root user, which
> > parses logs via a cron job. I just don't see the
> > harm.
> >
> I would have to concur on this. Only a user who has
> hijacked the root account will be able to mess with
> this script.

Let's say there's a deliberate back-door in, let's say, bash, so that
whenever the input buffer has "xyzzy ..." in it, there's a vfork and ...
gets passed to the child shell instance.  That kind of string would
be easy to get into a log file.  Http agent strings, for instnace,
can be anything.  The problem is eliminating possible ways to
hijack the root account.  Log data is tainted.  By tainted I mean
that it can have arbitrary stranger-provided data in it.  If the log
cooking system runs as a non-root user, an exploit in log data
(which might not be possible -- if all the logs contain is internally
generated statistics and error messages, no externally provided
texts, than this particular scenario would not apply -- could lead
to a root breach.

This scenario is also an argument for centralized log processing;
which standard syslog facilities provide OOTB, but I for one have
never seen them actually set up.

Anyone else on this list actually doing network syslogging to
a central log server?