No subject

Wed Nov 8 11:35:45 CST 2006

[quote]
To copyleft a program, we first state that it is copyrighted; then we
add distribution terms, which are a legal instrument that gives
everyone the rights to use, modify, and redistribute the program's
code or any program derived from it but only if the distribution terms
are unchanged. Thus, the code and the freedoms become legally
inseparable.
[/quote]

I think it would be a hard argument to say that software that makes
calls into GPL code as being "derived from it."  If someone took the
actual GPL code for a driver and made modifications to it and released
that, then yes, it would need a continuation of the license.

If we make the argument that calling GPL code from closed code
violates it, or vica versa, then we have to show that nsidwrapper and
WINE violate it too.

Jon.