Laptop Shopping

Zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 08:17:24 CST 2006

Jim Herrmann wrote:

>So, I'm planning to buy a laptop.  I started out by looking at the low
>end of new ones today at the big box stores, and I thought I would run
>some questions by all you gurus out there.  The lowest end of the laptop
>market today is so kick ass, maybe it doesn't matter anymore, but here
>goes.
>
>I found several CPU's being used in the lower end.  Which one's do you
>all like for Linux on laptops:
>
>AMD Turion 64
>Intel Core Duo T2050
>AMD Sempron 3400
>
>Obviously the Sempron just being a simple 32 bit processor was quite a
>bit cheaper, but the 64 bit and dual cores have become pretty price
>competitive.  There was also an AMD Turion Dual Core, and the Intel Core
>2Duo, but those were in a higher price bracket.  I guess the question
>is, would you take a 32 bit dual core over a 64 bit single core, and is
>it even worth 200 bucks to go there over a single core 32 bit processor?
>
>Then the other question I would have is did any one go out to the early
>sales on Friday and get some great deals that they'd be willing to pass
>on for some cash above what they paid?  I'm also not above considering a
>used laptop, but with the price/performance of the new laptops today,
>can a used one really compete?
>
>Let me just add that I want to do some mobile audio recording, but I'll
>probably get a USB2 audio card for that.  Do you think it will matter
>what CPU I get for that to work well?
>
>Discuss.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim

This is my favorite site for refurbished laptops.  Since these are
previously leased laptops, they are mostly the over built  executive
models and most have been very lightly used.  They are pretty tough
about the registration process, but they have some awesome deals from
time to time.

ie: Mostly they have IBM's, but here is an example of the last deal I saw.

*Toshiba Tecra M1 Pentium M Centrino 1.4GHz/14.1" XGA TFT/512 Meg
RAM/40.0 Gig HDD/8x24x24x24x DVD-CDRW Combo/Internal 56k Modem/10-100
Ethernet/802.11a,b Wireless/AC Adapter/Windows XP Pro COA*

	*$415*

Walter