MapLinx or ESRI Buisness Map OSS Replacement

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 21:27:44 CST 2006

On 11/20/06, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:
> err -- okay, you did mean the adjective.  Sorry, the capitalization
> threw me.  Piercing is really that transgressive any more?  I found
> the one story there that I read
>  http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/11-surface/A61024/srfthebe.html
> to be kind of touching, and perfectly SFW.  Where is the mapping
> software link though? (looks for links near top of page)  -- okay,
> there are NSFW sections, /clearly labeled as such/, therein.

As I said, mapping is built-in to many functions of the site.  There
is the BME Events page that can track distance to events based on the
event location and the location you are registered at.  I less public
areas there is much more that is available.

> <judge>
> I dismiss the charge of posting NSFW links to the lug,
> but the charge of irrelevant links which has been made
> against Pruente still stands.  He said, possibly on topic,
> >> Shannon Larratt has built many location fetures
> >> into bmezine.com and it's sister sites
> and the disinterested observers do not wish, for whatever
> reasons, to learn all the nooks and crannies and infected
> blisters of that web site in order to discover them on our own.
>
> Jon Pruente, you stand accused of posting irrelevant links
> to a LUG mailing list.  Please tell us more about these "location
> features" of which you have spoken, which give you such confidence
> in the skills of this Shannon Larratt.

There's one above.  For another, a quick run to Shannon's blog at
Zentastic.com (a mirror of his iam.bmezine.com user blog) we find:
http://www.zentastic.com/entries/200607222137.html - Geo location fine
tuning for the picky
http://www.zentastic.com/entries/200505161225.html - Visually mapping
IP to actual location, if known
http://www.zentastic.com/entries/200503161227.html - Visual mapping of
use by location

Variations on Googleing with different terms helps,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Azentastic.com+location&btnG=Google+Search