MapLinx or ESRI Buisness Map OSS Replacement

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Mon Nov 20 09:11:19 CST 2006

Is this flame bait?

Seriously,... WTF?

-----Original Message-----
From: kclug-bounces at kclug.org [mailto:kclug-bounces at kclug.org] On Behalf
Of Jon Pruente
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:10 AM
To: Oren Beck
Cc: kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Re: MapLinx or ESRI Buisness Map OSS Replacement

I agree that people like Shannon can cause political uneasyness, but
there are many in FOSS that can do the same.  Heck, Shannon is an
admitted Pink-Liberal-Pacifist.  Politically I'm 180 from him, but he is
brilliant in areas of computing.  He writes his own database interfaces
and drivers in hand coded assembly.  The community area of BME, called
IAM, has over 15,000 users and is a dynamic content creation system with
actives users literally all over the world.  He had it running smoothly
at that level on a P3 850 running Windows and his hand coded software.
He has other sites of interest including http://www.priceofhistoys.com/
http://www.undermars.com/ and his blog (linked to IAM) at
http://www.zentastic.com/

Aside from political differences (many people on BME/IAM oppose
some/many of his views) he is the one person I know who HAS done
location and mapping work, on his own, nearly by himself, and gotten it
to work.  That alone is somebody who should be consulted for a
project like this, regardless of his more extreme views.   I forgave
Linus for his fathers Communist sympathies years ago. :)

Jon.