Free Software Mapping Project

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:37:49 CST 2006

On 11/16/06, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> I suggest we discuss this more either in #kclug or I could start a new
> channel
> specifically for it...
>
> In particular, we want to see what our planned features are (preferably
> anything everyone suggests), priorities, and such before we actually start
> coding. So this would be not just for developers and mappers, but for
> anyone
> who would want to use it (which might not require a GPS-- I'd like to
> support
> triangulation based on wireless AP signal strengths). :)

This warrants potentially seting up a formal list of it's own.
With consideration being given to the GPS enabled hardware that soon may be
abandoned by Nextel as part of band reassignments. As for the AP strength
concept- There are many RF sources-some like the new "HD Radio" that have
embedded timebase data streams. Extraction and comparison is a non-trivial
but possible position data source unless I am totally wrong  in my
understandang of how such things work. If HD radio has OSS hardware?

I humbly suggest a hybrid approach of the "passive" rf level and an "active"
one of ping times. Yes, there ae many variables influencing ping times. The
factors that make ping time correlation part of this kind of process are
validating path viablity,sharing node granualarity informations, and
overall matrix integrity potential. Bluntly put-each element that enhances
accuracy and stability is a good thing. Potentially I suspect we could in
microscale replicate DGPS style
correction data.

Oren