What fun stuff have you done recently?

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed May 24 02:35:03 CDT 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 20:39, Kyle Sexton wrote:
> I'm curious what other people are doing in Linux right now for "fun".

Most recently, I've been migrating Armagetron Advanced to Subversion... not
that simple, taken into consideration that our project history spans 3 CVS
modules, and I'm stringing them together into one continuous flow.

> My current project has been integrating Asterisk (Open source PBX) and
> MythTV (Open source PVR).  I've gotten it so that I can call my house and
> have it read me what shows are going to be recorded.

Sounds fun. I'd like to get XMPP/IM/Jingle integration working for Asterisk,
myself... need more free time >_<

> The inbound line is a soft-phone SIP connection from Vonage.

Do they sell that now? Or is it in addition to a hard-phone plan you already
have? Either way, probably cheaper to go somewhere else. Were it not for the
horrible/non-existant support (no phone/email answers; requested a # to be
ported months ago and no progress; etc), I'd recommend SellVoIP-- $1 per #/mo
plus 1.1 cents/min (incoming and outgoing).

> I'm probably going to beef up my phone tree to include other things, and may
> eventually get some home automation things going through it.

On the topic of home automation, are there any cheap
temperature/door/light/etc sensors/controllers that can just be plugged into
an Ethernet connection, maybe with PoE (though preferably w/o, of course) and
configured to send send some simple UDP packet to a predefined server (I
figure this might be simple enough to not require a CPU and thus maybe run
off non-PoE Ethernet electricity)?