Linux question, GUI "lightweight" text editors

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 01:22:08 CDT 2006

--- "Christopher A. Bier" wrote:

> > --- Luke-Jr wrote:
> > I had forgotten about NEdit. It does do quite a
> bit,
> > but still it lacks a few very slick features that
> > Ultraedit has.
> <snip />
>
> Which features are those?  Maybe we could add them.

The features I most desire are searching and replacing
over multiple files with a single search, pulling in
the result of the search into a "new" document. Also,
when searching in a file, I'd like a pop-up list of
finds which can be clicked on to take me to any find
in the document. Yes I know I can repeatedly "find
next". It's not the same as having the whole list in a
single screen with all the extra lines stripped out.
Now a "new" document with each find would be useful
also. I'm sure that macros could be written in NEdit
and other editors to do this. So it's not that I
consider Linux editors inferior or less capable. NEdit
was the only editor I used on my laptop before the
disk went south, and I installed GEdit on my desktop
by mistake. NEdit, GEdit - cut me some slack I'm only
off by one letter. ;')

Well it's late ... or early. Need for sleep is
present.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Brian JD