Linux question, GUI "lightweight" text editors

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 23:52:11 CDT 2006

--- Luke-Jr wrote:

> On Saturday 13 May 2006 18:27, Charles Steinkuehler
> wrote:
> > If Nedit doesn't fit the bill (and you're willing
> to pay more than $20),
> > there's always Visual Slick Edit which is
> commercial and multi-platform.
>
> And if you're willing to sacrifice your freedoms and
> rights solely because
> some company wants a monopoly...
I had forgotten about NEdit. It does do quite a bit,
but
still it lacks a few very slick features that
Ultraedit has. While I'd be willing to pay more than
$20 for a true UltraEdit clone in Linux - no editor is
worth
$300. I'll grant Slick Edit is very impressive, but
why would anyone buy Slick Edit for $300 when you can
have
UltraEdit for $20? As for freedoms and rights, I
believe that a company has the freedom and right to
sell a proprietary solution. I'm actually a bit taken
aback at how many in the Linux community look down on
those who wish to sell their painstakingly written
software for ... gasp ... money! Sure there are lots
of OSS tools out there that are free as in beer and
speech. Fact is I don't mind paying for Linux and good
software. I do have a problem paying for software that
forces a relearning with every version and one where
old files are no longer readable by newer versions. I
mean my God if a company can't even remember how to
read a file structure from one release ago how good
can the current software be? Take VB6 to VB.Net. All I
can say is, OMFG!

Well enough ranting for one night. I also think it's
time I put to rest my search for an UltraEdit Linux
clone. Obviously there isn't one. I will say that
NEdit is very very good though.

Thanks for the comments,

Brian JD