Linux question, GUI "lightweight" text editors

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 10:03:44 CDT 2006

For those out there familiar with UltraEdit in
Windows,
I have a questioon. Is there a single Linux Editor
that has most if not all the features of UltraEdit?

For those that use Windows and don't use UltraEdit,
you're missing out on the BEST Windows Editor there
is.

Partial list of functions:

column or line text selection/editing,
search with regular expressions,
display/edit in hex,
search in a directory tree for a string returning all
lines found with filename and line number and line of
text,
replace in a directory tree a string,
use special keystrokes in above two features to search
and or replace or add nonprinting characters (e.g.
newline),
syntax highlighting,
custom syntax definitions,
word count,
file position display (line and column),
macros,
line sorting,
data conversion (e.g. ASCII -> EBCDIC),
etc.

There are a lot more features, but I rarely use more
than this. This seems like something relatively easy
to do in Linux, as all the basic tools seem to be
available in any distro, but I can't say I've seen any
editor with all of them. UltraEdit is $20 btw, and
well worth it. It's paid for itself for me many times
over. I couldn't tell you how many hours of work it
has saved me. In fact it paid for itself the first
time I ever used it. I'd pay $20 for a Linux solution
that did all this. I'd probably pay even more than $20
for it. Like I said, it looks easy, but not
necessarily quick to build. I'm sure I could build
one, if I had a few hundred hours of spare time.

Brian JD