Polls re: new linux distribution

djgoku djgoku at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 14:22:41 CDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> One goal of Utopios's new package manager is to more or less always build from
> source, but if it's already been done, use those binaries. Think Portage, but
> if someone has compatible CHOST/CFLAGS and the same USE flags, it will use
> their binaries or distcc if they're not done yet. Plus a bit of security
> measures, of course.

That is one of the reason I got away from Gentoo is compile from
source all the time take hours on end to update the system and
something always breaking or possibility of breaking was much higher
than OpenBSD. I don't care about all the "speed" gained if any at all
with CHOST/CFLAGS I just want it to install and go that is why I use
packages and rest is compiled ports. (though if you want Java
installed it took like 14 hours to compile from ports which kinda
suck) Not saying OpenBSD is perfect in there pkg manager, but it works
for me. And pkg management has been much more stable with OpenBSD over
Gentoo. Also not everything is the lastest and greatest version of a
software, usually newest as of release and updates for security. I
know a lot of this wouldn't matter (compiling from source) as much if
I had a faster desktop machine (currently use a Dual 700Mhz/1GB RAM as
my desktop).