What fun stuff have you done recently?

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Jun 14 17:01:29 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 17:46, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Coolness...I was just about to start ripping my CD collection with no
> compression to a couple hundred Gig of free space recently created on my
> RAID (I decided I could really live without local mirrors of Debian for
> the hppa, S390, sh, and a few other arches :).

Note FLAC will likely only half the disk space used...

> Is there a handy (preferrably command-line) utility to rip FLAC files

Live compression will slow stuff down, since compression is slower than CD
I/O. I'd do separate ripping and compressing processes.
If you do want to do compression on-the-fly, KDE's audiocd:// can do it.

> and create CUE files from audio CDs?

Why would you want a CUE?

> Would I need anything else to insure I could re-create the original
> audio CD content exactly (I don't care about extra info that might be
> there like lyrics, screen-savers, Sony root-kits, etc. :-) ?

If you don't care about lyrics, data, etc, why care about exact byte
positioning of the audio (only thing I can see a CUE useful for)?