Problems Watching TV in Linux

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jul 13 09:31:30 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 23:01 -0700, Leo Mauler wrote:
> Well I did manage to figure out how to get the "v4l"
> XVideo extension loaded into XF86Config-4 (XVideo
> doesn't let you do video capturing but I won't be
> doing that),

v4l has nothing to do with providing XVideo, at all. V4L and V4L2 are
the video capture protocols used to get the digital bits from your tuner
card or web cam -- in this case, probably V4L2. Once those bits have
been obtained, the XVideo extension is responsible for scaling them.
That's why I said to look at your video hardware man page.

>  but getting rid of the black border
> requires a 1024x768 Modeline in the new XFree4 and I
> haven't done any modelines since XFree86 3.3.6.
> Debian autoprobed everything and set up all the
> Modelines as 800x600 and 640x480.  I can see my
> future: way too much reading of documentation over the
> next few days.

A mode line will not help you. The problem is that scaling does not
work.