pros/cons of running services from inetd vs standalone daemons

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:43:15 CST 2006

On 1/24/06, hanasaki <hanasaki at hanaden.com> wrote:
> Any opinions on the reasons to run services from inetd vs leaving them
> running as daemons?

running from (x)inetd means your server will operate on stdin/stdout the
same way as it will on the socket, so if you are developing something,
rather than simply installing, writing a server that works from inetd
is easier as you don't have to bother with implementing and debugging
a accept-and-fork loop.

In fact, if all your servers are compiled without accep-and-fork loops, the
total memory in use will be smaller, but nobody needs to optimize that
hard for memory any more.

Supposedly there is some way to get a program invoked in inetd to take over
the connection acceptance instead of launching a new process on each connection
but I never got that to work when I tried it.

--
David L Nicol
Joining Mensa means embracing the reality