Screen Goes Black after running Xserver

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 11:43:16 CST 2006

--- Justin Dugger wrote:

> On a side note: Debian 3.0 stable? You're quite
> accomplished to keep
> that up to date with the kernel.  I'd take
> jclinton's advice and see
> what that kernel option fixes. It also might be time
> to consider an
> upgrade to sarge.

That one slipped by me. After all debian stable is now
"sarge" (aka Debian 3.1). I'm currently running
stable/testing.
I'd prefer to run testing/unstable but I need certain
functionality in OpenOffice that isn't possible in
testing
or unstable, unless I make my own debs. Which I
suspect I
will need to do sooner or later. I'm pushing for as
later
as I can.

Also, Ubuntu does something to the base x.org config
that turns the control-alt-fn back on. By default the
debian package shuts it off. I'm running a bare metal
debian, because of other issues. which is a bit of a
pain because I like the "commercial" releases because
they don't go in for all the purist bs that debian
does (read desktop functionality). So your confirming
that x.org works fine for you doesn't apply to
anything but the Ubuntu distribution. All this freedom
of choice stuff gets in the way of basic system
support. But I don't have any better answers than
anyone else.

Brian JD