Screen Goes Black after running Xserver

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 23:32:03 CST 2006

--- Linux Rocks wrote:

> Hello Everyone;
>
> I have a problem running Debian on a Acer TravelMate
> 260 laptop:
>
> The system boots up and I can login in the command
> prompt and change to different screens (ctrl-alt-f1
> f7). But, Once I startx I CANNOT change screens.
I have noticed that if you are running X.org instead
of
XFree86 that for some stupid reason the screen
switching
is disabled. At least by default. Therefore the first
thing
I do with a debian install is remove X.org and install
the
older XFree86. There may be some configuration thing
that
can be done to make X.org re-enable screen switching,
but
I have no desire to waste time figuring out something
that
should be on by default.

I suspect this is the cause of you non-functioning VT
switching. It is a feature, not a machine specific
problem.

Brian JD