Disappointed in Google

Brian Kelsay ripcrd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 22:06:09 CST 2006

On 1/16/06, Michael <mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu> wrote:

> > other projects.  Am I going overboard or ranting to much or do you
> > agree with me.  So many intelligent computer users (read slashdotters)
> > have built up Google to be a god and to some it would seem sinful to
> > bash Google in any light.  Any thoughts?
> Any free services not offered by Google is hardly something they are
> required to do. Software takes time to write and services take resources
> to host. I'd rather they not offer a service until they think they can
> really make it better. If you think you can offer the service they don't
> or think you can do it better than please do so. You could make a lot of
> money and we'd all get to experience these great new services. Try
> running a business while trying not to be evil in anyones eyes. It's
> hard to do.

If you run your own server, there is nothing stopping you from running
something like squirrelmail, neomail or phpgroupware for webmail and
calendaring.  There are many other similar projects out there and you
could surely find one to do your bidding.

One misstep Google has made in recent memory is Google Analytics.
They signed up entirely too many websites, like Slashdot.org for the
beta and those sites make far too many calls to Google servers before
the content draws in the browser.

One item that has been mentioned about GMail that I think should be
user configurable is the ability to send executables.  I've checked,
you can't send them inside zip files or with the extension changed. It
just doesn't work.  I think it is a good idea, unless you know what
you are doing.  For many people, GMail is the only webmail that is
available at work, school or elsewhere that has certain websites
blocked by default.  I have the same problem with IRC being blocked.
But there are ways around that too.