Taking a poll on mail client reply

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:06:27 CST 2006

To answer the original quesion: I use gmail, which doesn't yet fix the
problem for me. I suspect if enough of the other silent gmail users
request the feature it will be addressed in the near future. Generally
speaking I would prefer that the default my replies to be sent to the
public mailing list, with as little fuss as possible.  If I intend to
engage in namecalling or discuss secret national security issues I'd
just as soon make an effort to single my intended listeners out.

On 1/13/06, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:
> There you go again, espousing absolutes.
>
> There may be mailing lists with different whole points.  The culture of each
> mailing list is different.  There are mailing lists where one is expected to
> post only announcement-level news, and discussion concerning
> particular announcements
> proceeds in off-list discussions, occasionally sharing the results of
> these caucuses
> with the main stream.  For instance.  With your definitions the point of such
> a list would be introducing people to have off-list discussions.

I'm reasonably certain that everyone understands that the list is for
linux and technological related purposes. With a reasonably good
client the volume of this kind of mail we see on the list isn't
overwhelming.  I realize it might require a change in mailing list
manager (quite the gamble given that the old one was broken for nearly
a year), but I've seen listserv managers that will give subscribers
plenty of options on how delivery is done, including the to and cc
fields.