Anyone have a spare machine?

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Jan 8 13:19:54 CST 2006

On Saturday 07 January 2006 15:57, Jack wrote:

> > >   Or you could just use less applications at once.
> >
> > Hence "Unless you use only very few applications at
> > a time".
>
> Please do tell me, how is it anyone can use more than a few applications at
> a time?

The same way a CPU runs more than one application at a time :)

> I've found that I am limited by having two hands each with five digits. I've
> not yet matered using a foot keyboard yet. With these 10 digits I have only
> two eyes to process the incoming information,

Learn to use virtual desktops and task switching.

> all of which must be processed by a single CPU.

Come on, give your brain more credit!

> Just how many tasks can one really successfully hope to accomplish with such
> a configuration?

Sure, there's a performance hit overall for multitasking, but everyone can put
up with it for computers-- so it's not much more to do it in your mind.

> While it may be really cool to say you run 50 applications all at once, the
> truth is I suspect most of them are sitting idle most of the time and just
> using up RAM that could be made better use of by other more frequently used
> applications.

Most applications are not running most of the time regardless-- especially
when the CPU is occupied executing another.