wireless cards for laptop

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 23:25:00 CST 2006

--- curt <cbox at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've been searching for info on supported pcmcia
> wireless cards for my laptop.
> A Thinkpad T23...
> As yet I have found little info other than some
> comments regarding the chipset. I would really
> prefer to simply purchase a card, plug it in and
> be done with it. The problem seems to be that no
> manufacturer seems forthcoming with chipset info.
> Can someone suggest a card that they have had
> success with and tell me the "Retail" brandname
> and model number?
> Beats the hell out of buying one, taking it home,
> dicovering it has an unsupported chipset,
> returning it and repeating the process again and
> again.
> Thanks

This is why I like the ndiswrapper solution: you can
buy a network card, take it home, and start using it;
at least more often than when you try to find a Linux
driver for the ones you bring home.

The real problem is what you say: the box and even the
inside manual never have chipset information, so you
never know which card has Linux drivers.

And then someone says "ooo, the Microcenter Belkin
wireless card for $35 has Linux drivers", and you go
to buy one, and find out that the Linux drivers part
was only true for the remaining 100 cards they had
left, and their new shipment of the same card uses a
different chipset which has no Linux drivers.

I think I'll try to buy a card with compatible Linux
drivers, but if I don't find one on the second try
I'll just go with ndiswrapper, thankyouverymuch.