Anyone have a spare machine?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 01:35:20 CST 2006

--- Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to do testing for Fedora, but do not
> > have the spare machine which I had anticipated.
> > So I just thought I would ask the lis if anyone
> > has a spare machine they are willing to give up
> > or sell for a small price to do testing.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Try Freecycle: http://www.freecycle.org/
>
> You might be able to get most of (if not all of)
> a spare computer from them for free.  The
> computer might even be from someone in your area
> (my wife is a member of the Greater Kansas City
> Freecycle community).
>
> Of course, you might prefer the 30" projection TV
> for free...  :)

Arthur has pointed out to me that it is somewhat
difficult to use the Freecycle search.  You have to go
into a particular group to find stuff, the zipcode
search on the main page doesn't seem to work very
well.

Go to the left side of the screen where it says
"Freecycle Groups".  Click on US Central.  Scroll down
to Kansas and/or Missouri.  Pick a city and click
"Goto".  Then search for "computer" within the group.
Repeat with other cities nearby if you don't find what
you want in the city you live in (for example,
Lawrence isn't too far away, and Gardner-Olathe is an
even shorter distance away).

One word of warning: to get something free you have to
join the group.  To join the group you have to give
away something for free (whomever wants it must come
and pick it up).  This doesn't have to be anything
expensive: some people give away "misc box of stuff",
though they have to tell you what is in it.