Amazing Xgl Demo Video

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat Feb 25 00:54:48 CST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 16:09, Jason Clinton wrote:
> This is the best demonstration of the new Xgl technology that I have
> seen yet. If you aren't really up-to-date on what's going on the
> eye-candy and graphics features area, check this out.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi

My observations:
- They didn't show a non-responding process of glxgears, even though it was
already running... why? I guess it doesn't work yet?
- They didn't show a Xgl-based app (modded glxgears, fish, globe) at a
rotation. Is it shown *on* the desktop, *on* the viewscope, or *in front of*
or *behind* the desktop?
- What if I want more than 6 virtual desktops? Maybe just a large sphere for
the desktop with an optional lens on the viewpoint to make the seen region
look square?

Other than that, looks kind of cool. Too bad for me that I don't trust
hardware to render my primary desktop (GLX is disabled, even though
supported). ;)