Amazing Xgl Demo Video

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Feb 24 12:44:16 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 11:23 -0600, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
wrote:
> One question, why would I want to watch a movie or play a game around a
> corner?
> I also don't understand the need to have a window go wavy as it is moved
> around the screen.  Other than that, I like the window transparency,
> dimming, etc.

Yea, those 'features' are marginally useful. The stuff that makes sense,
though: applications 'minimize', literally, to the tray. Also,
applications never have to 'repaint' their view ports because, as far as
they are concerned, they are never covered by another window -- they are
just rendering to an abstract GL surface.

Presently, when you drag a window around on your desktop, all the apps
which were dragged over have to repaint their contents. That's why your
CPU utilization goes way up.
--
Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>