proposed solution to signal to noise ratio problem

John unixengineer at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 22 09:42:51 CST 2006

-----Original Message-----

The only issue with that is it's like having too many hands
in the kitchen with no Chef to supervise.  Many of the projects
are poorly managed, noone can put their foot down on things
like terrible performance and memory usage that makes
people who are used to embedded systems have knightmares.

It's great to have a lot of collaboration on projects and all of
the community contributing.  When it comes to leading a well
defined project, timelines, and tuning, thats where things fall
off now.  In order to vastly improve Linux in the years to come
the major project will likely undergo change to better manage
things.

Another thing that could be mentioned is many of the projects
attempt to play catch-up with MS Windows.  I'd like to see more
innovation inside projects that isn't trying to mimic Windows which
would be less feature immitation driven.  That way you could focus
on writting good software instead of mimicing features, and falling
behind of what MS does.  They have plenty of money and very good
coders to add features and make it work.  Can the open source
movement truely compete without being more organized?